Friday, December 10, 2010

A Qualified Disaster



I did some cooking last Saturday!  Even though the results were not good, it gives me hope for the future.  First, let me say that I did not plan very well for this.  I modified a recipe I found in my Mom's Betty Crocker book for some kind of bread that wasn't what I made.  Also, I didn't have a real bread pan so I just guessed on the time.

Another problem was that I used double baking powder but forgot to put half as much in, so you could definitely taste the baking powder even after I "French breaded" it.  But I used a blend of whole grains from Bob's Red Mill and I think that with the right amount of baking powder and salt (I omitted it thinking it wouldn't affect the taste) this could be decent.  The French bread part was a lot of work.  I think that next time I'm just going to dip it in chicken soup or perhaps make it into a tuna melt since Catherine showed me how to do that.  Oh yeah, another thing that probably impaired the taste was that for shortening I used butter, but didn't allow enough time for it to soften, so it was still chunky when I finally gave up and just put the batter in the pan.  I'm hoping that enough things went wrong this time that next time it will taste significantly better.  

Carolyn

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures!!! I don't think it was a qualified disaster, I mean....it is still edible right??? I think it is a disaster when you can't eat it.

    I am cracking up because I tend to modify things, too!! ...much to my and everyone's chagrin!!! So, this bread wasn't a yeast bread? I haven't had much experience in baking with yeast breads.

    I started more of my Christmas baking. I'll have to take a picture of one of the cookies I made. It was a chocolate clove drop!...very yummy. I also did 3 batches of chocolate chips...a standard, of course. The funny part is that in one batch I forgot the butter (and just had organic palm oil) and in another batch , I nearly forgot the brown sugar. The good news is that they all tasted fine.

    Ah...the joys of baking....to be continued, right?

    ReplyDelete