Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Baking Soda, facial cleanser, and jam

I was looking around my apt for an empty bottle for my baking soda solution and realized I could transform one of my MCV water bottles into a baking soda one. It works really well, and I can squirt it onto my hair. I was a little skeptical about the solution. Having used it last night, my hair feels much better than it usually would and my scalp isn't feeling gross. I think I'm a baking soda convert! =) I won't use the solution everyday...maybe 2-3 times a week?

Any advice on facial cleanser?

O! I made my own jam today. It was easier than I thought it would be. Granted, I didn't go all out with the jamming/jarring process, but it's good enough. From what I hear, the process is relatively similar for all fruits. But here's how my friend and I jammed figs:

1) Dice figs
2) Add diced figs to large sauce pan
3) Add sugar and lemon juice (and spices or honey if you want)
4) Set stove to med high until boiling
5) Reduce heat to simmer ~ 45 minutes
6) Add jam to jars, cover, cool, put in fridge.

Totally easy and preservative free. Jam should last a few months, especially if it's fridged.

7 comments:

  1. Eileen, this is amazing! I would not have believed that jam could be made in so few steps. I want to try it - but first I have to find a fruit that I like :) What do you think about trying it with blackberries when they're in season?

    I'm glad you like the baking soda! Megan will be pleased, she started that whole thing. I was concerned about doing it too often once you said that baking soda is corrosive, but I guess when you were doing it you knew if it was watered down enough. Did you fill up your whole mcv bottle with water? The water bottle I use to do it is much smaller. I don't do it often though - I did it before Trinita and I'm working up to doing it again in a couple weeks :)

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I have no advice about facial cleansers. I just use my regular Tom's bar soap that I use for the rest of me. And when I shower at night, which is almost always, I don't wash my face again in the morning. Don't be paranoid, you're still clean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't use this facial cleaning method anymore (just because my water didn't run hot enough in my old apartment, not because I don't like it...I actually loved it - so maybe I'll start again).

    It's called the Oil Cleansing Method or OCM. If you google it, you should be able to find some great info. Basically, you slather your face with a mixture of castor oil and olive oil. You can use other oils too in addition to these. After slathering your face, you wet a wash cloth with hot water. Put the wash cloth on your face and it's heat will steam open your pores. Then you massage your face with the wash cloth which pulls out the impurities and gunk from your pores and the oil you've applied is soaked into the wash cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, that's cool. Is all the oil you put on absorbed by the wash cloth? I'm wondering if it would be a good way to moisturize your face in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With regards to sugar and honey added to the fig jam:
    about 1/2 cup sugar per pound
    about 1/4 cup honey per pound

    Again, these measurements are completely approximations. For really sweet jam, the recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar per pound, but that seems way too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not all of the oil is absorbed by your wash cloth. It would probably be great to use in the winter because of the moisture factor. I'd use it all year though :)

    ReplyDelete