Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Partial Disaster

I made two things last night.  The first was more granola, because I went through the first batch.  My conscience was getting to me about using so much honey and putting so much sugar in, so I decided to try making it with more honey but no added sugar.  This is edible with the yogurt but not as enjoyable.  I think next time I'm going to use less honey and some sugar just less than I put in the first time.

The real problem was with the veggie burgers I tried to make.  I saw a recipe (on doctoroz.com!) that used brown rice instead of beans.  So I had two cups of cooked brown rice (I was impressed I just cooked the brown rice.) a can of diced carrots and a small can of cut up mushrooms.  The recipe didn't even say to put egg in as a binder but I did anyway.  I also used minced onions.  The stuff tasted fine, but it did not stick as patties.  I think next time I'll use less rice and less vegetables and see if one egg can get it to stay.  This also made me think about just making some kind of soup with the rice and mushrooms cooking together and forgetting about the patty part.  Any suggestions about this?  I was thinking of getting broth from the store, even though they have a lot of salt.  But what the heck do I care about salt?  Hmmmmmm.....

Carolyn

3 comments:

  1. You are a mad woman! First homemade granola and now you very own veggie burgers! When will it stop???
    Well, first, congratulations again on reducing your refined sugar. This is always my biggest problem! There are other sweeteners out there, but they tend to be more expensive. Agave nectar might be worth a try. It's not too outrageously priced.

    My Mom actually made some bean burgers with brown rice. Maybe it was the same recipe. She had the same trouble with them. As soon as you take a bite, they fall apart. They were good though. But, they seem to hold together better with just with beans.

    Any new revelations about the chia seeds...that is..where to get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I feel better knowing that veterans have a hard time making them stick together. The chia seeds...the place I was talking about before has an online ordering form for the chia flour, so you could do that. That is also $19 a pound instead of $10, though. I have yet to try it and see if it's worth it. I think I've still got about a week left of my current bag, so I hope to try this new stuff pretty soon. I got the Bob's Red Mill chia seed by ordering it online - so I had to pay shipping. But if you bought two bags at once that would decrease your overall shipping! If this chia flour isn't worth the extra cost I'm going to go back to Bob's and order several bags. Plus, I don't think I need a whole tablespoon a day, so one bag would last between 6 and 8 weeks. I'm willing to pay shipping for that. I'm excited to try the chia flour, but I'm making myself wait until I've finished what I have now. Believe me, I will be posting as soon as I get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool...do tell when you get to using it! By the way, my Mom made bean burgers again. This time she used quinoa and it crumbled again. So, it is back to the drawing board!

    ReplyDelete