Saturday, August 14, 2010

Good Stuff I've Eaten Since Monday

Well, I did in fact buy some plain yogurt with all the fat in it.  I've been eating it with my chocolate granola in the morning.  I've grown to basically like it.  My problem is that it only came in a 2lb container and I cannot eat that much in 5 days - which is how long I think I can leave the container open in the fridge for.  What do you guys think?  5 days or more?  Anyway, it occurred to me that my granola has lots of fat in it, so next time I'm going to see if I can get a smaller container of plain yogurt but fat free.  That seems like it would have more size options.  I'll see.

Also, I made red bean burgers!  We had a can of black beans and a can of red beans but the black beans didn't have an expiration date on them.  My mom said that meant they were really old because now everything has an expiration date.  Of course, I didn't throw them out, I just didn't use them.  I didn't measure anything in the burgers, but they came out well.  I put cheese on them, that might have helped.  They were bland though, so next time I'm not going to be shy with the chili powder.  I even brought two to work the next day and ate them cold and they were fine.  Thank you, Sharon!

About the shampoo, I tried the Aubrey's.  I did notice that it lathered less than Burt's Bees.  I used it right after I got home, but not last night after I swam.  I'm not quite confident enough in it to use it to get out chlorine yet.  But when I didn't swim I thought it cleaned my hair enough.  Sharon, have you tried the baking soda yet?  I think I'm going to trim my hair in a few weeks and I'm going to baking soda again after that.  Remember, it just takes a little bit :)

I almost forgot about the tomatoes!  I got a package of Wasa flatbread crackers before I left this summer and I really liked them.  On the Wasa website it had suggestions for what to eat with them and one was to put humus on them and put sliced tomatoes on that.  At the time, I thought I would never eat a tomato.   Thanks to the daily salads, though, now I like them.  So I got some "roma plum" tomatoes, sliced them and put them on the crackers with the humus.  It was wonderful!  I highly recommend it!  That's all I can think of for now.  I'm going to try to make the burgers again soon and I think I'll need to look at the Wasa site for more ideas about other healthy things to try.

Carolyn

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 comments:
    Sharon said...
    I'm so proud of you!!! ..Diving right into the bean burger thing! Yes, I agree, go wild with the chili powder. The ones I made at Trinita really didn't have near enough zip for me. I'm surprised that they got eaten! I never thought about using a different kind of beans in the burger...great idea!!! Yes, cheese is always a good idea!

    I am cracking up about the Wasa crackers. I can tolerate them, but I am shocked you really like them! But, if you are putting hummus and tomato on them, I can understand why! What kind did you get? I like the rye the best.

    Let's go back to the plain yogurt discussion. Wow!! You are really branching out! Yea, I would stick with the expiration date as your guide. Even beyond that smell and taste will tell you if there is a problem. I know what you mean about size options. It is best to get the big size if you have more than one person eating it. Otherwise, I have experienced "extreme pressure" trying to use up a whole container by myself. However, may I suggest yogurt smoothies for the whole family? I made some out of extra plain yogurt for myself and the Sisters. They seemed to really like it! There are tons of recipes online.

    You know, I just came across my empty bottle that I am saving for the baking soda routine. I'm going to prepare it as soon as I am finished with the blog. Can you believe I am still unpacking? I am a bit overwhelmed going through everything. I thought I would be resting, but it has been one thing after another since I got home. I am so grateful for this blog, facebook, email to stay in touch with you and everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: Plain yogurt In my experience of two years of eating plain yogurt; I found it lasts a couple of weeks in the fridge. Just make sure the top is on tightly. At least I haven't died from it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are both excellent suggestions! Haha, see, this blog was a brilliant idea! (Sharon!) I just got a tub of regular plain yogurt instead of fat free last night because I can tell already that the fat-free is not as filling in the morning. I shall eat from the big container until I get sick and then I shall make smoothies for my family with the rest! No, I will try to time it so I make the smoothies first. I'm glad you mentioned the smoothies Sharon, I wouldn't have thought about that.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete